Sunday, July 17, 2022

Tales of a vintage stunt double (Bodysuit Caption)

See Wonder Woman here? That actually was me! Shocked? I know. Not many people know this, but I had a pretty active career as stuntperson back in the day. And yes, I know what you're thinking: bodysuits did exist even then; the stuff you see today is still a lot nicer than the stuffy ones we had, though. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That stunt you see is something I remember very well. Know how Wonder Woman has the power of flight as her skill? We had an episode where she was using that to chase down down somebody. Naturally the director didn't want to risk Lynda Carter getting hurt, so I earned my salary that day! Oh man, the prep we had to go through was a lot! Sorry, sorry, I'm get a bit distracted. The set was specifically built to keep the suspense up, so my "flight" from the top of a building to street level wasn't as high as it might have looked live, but I admit that I was kind of nervous, 'specially since we had a few takes. Ha, that face I made here was half "oh crap, I'm about to land" and half "can I make Wonder Woman look that graceful?".

 https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/569146179003351057/998249591558385704/unknown.png

 

Now, this one was a doozy. Mountainside fight completed with Wonder Woman flying up? It speaks for itself! Here, you can see my face when I hit the mark to be yanked up. Even as much as we train and prepare for these things, we still need to keep up the facade of everything being normal. This episode was a challenge, but in the end I nailed the scene, and Lynda even bought me a beer in thanks!

 https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/569146179003351057/998250951334969384/unknown.png



Another fun moment was when I had to step in for a fight scene. Lynda didn't mind doing them in general I will say, but on that particular day, she wasn't feeling it. No slight against her--I know what she means. So, I got called from standby to suit up and that was that. And as you can see, I had to act a bit to set the scene, so that was also fun! Once the fight was over, I got to relax and recover in my trailer, thanks to some bruises from the other stuntman!


https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/569146179003351057/998250951636955207/unknown.png


Still surprised that I had a decent role during the show's run? Eh, don't be. I've got lots more secrets and stories about my fellow stuntpeople suiting up as the main actors and actresses! In fact...I think I still have my suit tucked away somewhere. Want to see it?



1 comment:

  1. Great story! I want to see your suit, if only I could get one.

    ReplyDelete